10/14/2013

Procyon-X - The Ghost of Orion

 
Artist:      Procyon-X
Album:    The Ghost of Orion
Year:        2007
Line-up:   ???
Label:      Paradigms Recordings



I have taken notice that I have recently developed a trend of writing about albums about which I feel very strongly on a personal level. Don't get me wrong, my very meaning of my writings is to shed light upon some of my favorite records which feel have been left in the shadows even among the music enthusiasts yet alone the mainstream audience. However, I personally feel at the moment that I have been maybe too over sentimental and perhaps even a bit grandiose about some the albums I have covered recently. I might have indulged in poetics and romanticism where my personal experiences and world views have come into play in my text very strongly. I figured that it might be the time to write about a more low-key album this time around where I do NOT use the term musical journey to describe the album. Thus, I present you The Ghost of Orion by Procyon-X.

Language is the medium through which we construct and outline the reality around us. However, music escapes the chain and possible limitations of language in its' abstract nature, and yet it is still able to penetrate into our very souls and provide us with an endless variety of different human emotions and feelings. We can describe music verbally by theoretical vocabulary and using different adjectives to communicate to others what emotions a certain piece of music is able to evoke in us. Still, one can never quite capture the essence of music. This task becomes even more difficult we can dwell in the realm of ambient music. The genre often does not have its' emphasis on the usual musical parameters such as rhythm, melody and harmony. Instead, ambient normally focuses on the actual sound and its' mechanics; that is to say the texture for example. It is tends to try and create atmospheric sound environment and soundscape still retaining a sense of musical movement. Normally one the goals of ambient music is to invoke a sense calm and space in its' listener. 



When I one night listened to The Ghost of Orion for the first time in preparation for this writing after a long period of the album just sitting on my record shelf, this image of space kept coming to my mind. When I next morning began to do some research about the album, I noticed to my surprise that some sources label The Ghost of Orion as space ambient. Yet another proof that music often has the ability to capture our imaginations and cast very specific images before our very eyes without the means of language. Space ambient is an umbrella term of a subgenre of the ambient genre which is described as flowing and relaxing by its' general atmosphere. Sequencers are used along with synthesizers with ascending and descending rhythm patterns. These characteristics are certainly present on The Ghost of Orion. The label Paradigms Recordings describes the album as ”seriously mysterious exploration of the sonic void. Dark astral ambient voyages through solar infinity. Deep, all encompassing sensory projection for earthbound space travellers and cosmic explorers.” I certainly would agree to this description although it paints a lot more poetic and magnificent picture of the album that I would give it credit for.

The Ghost of Orion is a nice little (clocking just in 30 minutes) but interesting and intriguing ambient album. So if you are looking for an relaxing and stimulating space atmosphere thorugh music to fuel your imagination or set the mood of your dreams, pop this baby in your player and float into the mysterious realms of outer space.

Take a a sneak peek of the the last track of the album from the web page of Paradigms Recordings:

Written by Παναγιωτιης

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti